Sunday 6 December 2009

Expectations

I may have previously mentioned the fact that I live in an old farmhouse. Due to its age and its remote location it could be said to be blessed (or cursed) with the feeling of being just a tad spooky when it's dark and the weather conditions are right. I have long since grown accustomed to living here and the small eccentricities of the building. It can be a draughty old place at the best of times, and yes, occasionally doors do open with a creak that would grace any Hammer film. During the daytime these are barely noticed, but at night time I do notice them a little more, though only for a brief second before common sense reigns once more.
The latest odd anomaly is the kitchen units have started to occasionally eminate taps. They really do sound like someone is rapping on the work surface with a knuckle. As buildings of this age do occasionally get mice I think it may well be that. We get them every year, so it's no surprise.
What I am trying to say in my own clumsy way is that I have become a little desensitised when I am presented with spooky old places. I learn to EXPECT odd creaks and tapping noises as this is no different to my own old place. This doesn't mean that the reactions of other people in the room don't give me a start. There's nothing like someone suddenly shouting an unexpected expletive or screaming to raise the heart rate.
I suppose that's the joy in "ghost hunting" in a group. No matter how serious the intentions may be, there's nothing like shared fright, even though the causes may well be normal and innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Paranormal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory