Monday 12 March 2012

The Old Star Winsford - Today's Trip

Today I had the delightful experience of visiting The Old Star in Winsford, Cheshire. I chatted with Ernie, the owner about his pub and all the strange goings-on.
He told me that the pub was originally built in 1871 on Swanlow Lane next to the vicarage of St Chads. The ancient 14th century church is directly behind the pub and has it's own paranormal associations.

In 1892 the pub's landlord was a man by the name of Joseph Fletcher. Although the pub prospered under his care, Joseph felt more and more unhappy about the way fate had dealt him his luck and eventually committed suicide by tying a scarf around the bed and making a noose with the other end and hanging himself. He was discovered by his young son Harry who tried to cut him down but the only knife to hand was blunt and so he had to seek the help of his mother (Joseph's wife). By the time Joseph had been cut down it was too late to revive him. Below is a picture of the current landlord telling me the story and pointing to the spot.


The next place Ernie took me to was the cellar steps. After the death of Joseph Fletcher, his wife, Elizabeth Fletcher took on the mantle of pub landlord. Not too long after Joseph's passing, Elizabeth took a tumble down the cellar stairs and broke her neck. Staff have reported eerie feelings and an odd feeling of a presence on these steps. As the photo below shows, the steps are indeed very steep.


The pub has always had it's stories of ghosts and strange feelings. In August 2002 the pub was taken over by Debs and Mark. The couple were just tidying the pub at the end of the day and counting up the takings at the kitchen table as they did routinely every night. It was then Mark noticed that Deb's face had taken on a look of terror. A look he had never ever witnessed before on her face. Debs then said ‘Please Mark; tell me that Ashley has just walked along the landing to go to the toilet.’. Mark went to Ashley's bedroom and the child was fast asleep. Mark then said ‘You’re scaring me Debs, what is it?’ Her reply came out hesitatingly, ‘a boy, a young boy, younger and smaller than Ashley has just walked along the landing. I saw him clearly; he wasdressed in a floor length old fashioned night shirt.’ Slowly she turned to Mark and said ‘I’ve never believed in ghosts, I thought it was all rubbish, but I think I just saw one!’






A fascinating old pub with a fascinating history. By day a beautiful, comfortable, country pub serving excellent beer and great food. By night?.........I plan a return visit.....I have yet to find out!

Here's the pub in question: http://www.the-old-star.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Paranormal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory