Saturday 28 November 2009

Poltergeists or something else?

I suppose we are all aware of these pesky anomalies through several ghost investigation TV programmes and that one very notable Hollywood film, but what exactly are they?
I don't think there is one accepted or popular explanation, we just know they move things and throw things etc.
This brings me to my next question. There have been items that I KNOW EXACTLY where I put them down, only for them to totally disappear, then to re-appear some time later. One notable occasion is when I had a very important piece of information on a floppy disc (so you can see it was a few years ago) which I left on my desk just to the right of my monitor and just in front of my mouse mat. I went off into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and when I came back it wasn't there. This was extremely annoying as I had a piece of work to finish to which the information stored on the disc was vital. I ended up lifting every item and piece of equipment off my desk and putting it all down on the floor - the monitor, computer, desk tidy, everything! - all I had left was a completely bare desk top. In defeat, I then lifted everything back onto the desk and went off to make another cuppa (as the previous one had gone stone cold during the hunt). When I came back into the room I couldn't believe what I saw. The disc was back on my desk. Not in the place where I left it but nonetheless in full view. Now, there wasn't one item on my desk after I had cleared it. Not even dust, as I had taken the opportunity to run a duster over it as it was the first time in ages it had been totally clear.
The question I am asking is this. Was that the actions of a poltergeist? - I thought it would have been more likely to throw stuff or be a little more violent. It was very restrained for a poltergeist as that was the only thing it moved.
I think we have a tendancy to pigeon-hole things with a nice convenient title. Poltergeists being one such thing.

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at your disk episode, as I had exactly the same sort of thing happen with a brand new pair of jeans once. I put them - folded neatly - on a shelf in a wardrobe.... only to come back a little later and they had vanished!! I tore the place apart looking for them, but 'no' - they had gone!?! Around a month later, I opened the wardrobe and - blow me - there they were, just where I'd left them a month earlier!!!

    On other occasions, objects just go missing.... and never return. I'm a methodical person and I pretty much know where I've put something - but I've sometimes put something down.... and just never seen it again!! A favourite belt of mine went this way - and, for whatever reason, about 4 copies of the CD 'Crest Of A Knave' by Jethro Tull!?!? (I actually got fed up of replacing the darned thing in the end!! Laugh!!)

    Whether or not this is poltergeist activity - I guess it all boils down to what the individual actually thinks a poltergeist (if there is such a thing) actually consists of(?) As for the notion of some disturbed, disembodied spirit being a naughty boy.... then I certainly don't think so. There are frequent displays of childish humour in such cases, of course, but - on the whole - such activity strikes the researcher as incredibly base (with regards to possible displays of intellect / intelligence)and just too downright senseless in intent.

    With regards to objects seemingly disappearing and reappearing fairly quickly - there is, of course, a recognised psychological quirk where a person can look directly at an object and not actually 'recognise' what they're viewing at that precise second!! I know this is a fact, as I must admit that I suffer with this problem quite a lot myself!! Laugh!!

    All the best - and thanks for such an open-minded, cracking blog!!

    Regards,

    Nick
    West Midlands Ghost Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fact that sometimes we really can't see the wood for the trees. Sometimes something is in plain view and the brain just doesn't register. I once had a ring disappear off the kitchen table. I searched all over the place as it was a present. It wasn't the value but the sentimental attachment. THREE YEARS later I happened to be walking out through the back door and it was sitting on the window sill at the side of the door. I said to my better half "Oh great, you found that ring..oh wow...where was it?" she had no idea what I was talking about and she was as gobsmacked as me.
    Thanks for the kind words about the blog. Nice to know someone likes my scribblings. I must visit yours and repay the compliment.

    ReplyDelete

 
Paranormal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory